Monday, January 21, 2008

Breakfast -- 1/21/08

Harold Waite's Pancake House
941 Lake Air Dr.
Waco, TX 76710
254.772.9970

8:15 - 9:10 AM

Ramona: Pancakes, bacon, coffee
Jim: Waffle, sausage links, coffee

I have been eating breakfast at Harold Waite's for about as long as I have been in Texas. For years it was the only place to have Sunday breakfast. I was always sure to get there early and beat the church crowds. Still a good idea if you want immediate seating and a relatively quite morning with the paper -- be there before 9:00 AM

Waite's is one of the few places in Central Texas that have the feel of the diners that are so popular all over the northeast. Quick service, friendly, perky waiters, inexpensive food are all there, and only the 24/7 serving hours are missing. Waite's is only open for breakfast and lunch.
Since Waco passed the no smoking ordinance a few years ago, this has become a more comfortable place to dine. One large room accomodates everyone, and on busy days, it was impossible to avoid sitting near a smoker. That is all over now.

The only downside of our visit is a perrenial complaint I have had with Waite's -- the coffee is weak and tasteless. Some might think Starbucks and Beatnix's (a good and popular coffeehouse near the MCC campus) have spoiled me for strong coffee, but neither of those places were open when I first went to Waite's 12 or 13 years ago. Against my better judgement, I tried it again this time hoping for some improvement.

The food was good, and Ramona was sorry she didn't get the short stack -- five fluffy pancakes were just too much for her. The waffle was the perfect size for me. If you go, try the hot tea.

-Jim

No comments: