Saturday, January 3, 2009

Dinner -- 12/27/08

George's
1925 Speight Ave.
Waco, TX 76706

254.753.1421

www.georgesrestaurant.com

5:30 6:40 PM

$

Ramona: Frozen strawberry margarita (no salt), Caesar salad, 1/2 order chicken-fried steak, mashed potatoes

Jim: Caesar salad, chicken-fried chicken, fries, iced tea

George's was a frequent hangout during my grad school days at Baylor. It was close to Campus, inexpensive, and had great food. The only drawback was the smoke. When the ordinance was passed in Waco, the smokers were driven into the enclosed bar area, and things got much better.

My favorite dish was calf's liver and onions, and we headed there with that dish in mind. When it came time to order, Ramona reminded me that we had recently had L&O at home. She really likes the way I cook it, so we have the dish at least once a month. So, I abandoned my plan and went with an old favorite.

At first, a server (not the same one that took our order) brought me chicken-fried steak. They did switch it out. The portion was good-sized, but not as juicy as what I had at Cotton Patch. I also did not like the white gravy. It tasted funny to me, although Ramona liked hers.

Ramona's CFS was HUGE -- even though she got a 1/2 portion. I tasted it, and it was pretty good.

-Jim

No comments: